A. State Requirements
An applicant for a Michigan CPL must:
1. Be at least 21 years of age.
2. Be a citizen of the United States or an alien lawfully admitted into the United States.
3. Be a legal resident of Michigan and reside in Michigan for at least six months immediately prior to application. An applicant is a resident of Michigan if one of the following applies:
• The applicant possesses a valid, lawfully obtained Michigan driver's license or official Michigan personal identification card.
• The applicant is lawfully registered to vote in Michigan.
• The applicant is on active duty status with the United States Armed Forces and is stationed outside of Michigan, but Michigan is the applicant's home of record.
• The applicant is on active duty status with the United States Armed Forces and is permanently stationed in Michigan, but the applicant's home of record is another state.
Note: The county clerk shall waive the six-month residency requirement if one of the following applies:
• For an emergency license, if the applicant is a petitioner for a personal protection order issued under MCL 600.2950 or MCL 600.2950a.
• For an emergency license, if the county sheriff determines that there is clear and convincing evidence to believe that the safety of the applicant or the safety of a member of the applicant's family or household is endangered by the applicant's inability to immediately obtain a license to carry a concealed pistol.
• For a new resident, if the applicant holds a valid concealed pistol license issued by another state at the time the applicant’s residency in this state is established
4. Have knowledge and training in the safe use and handling of a pistol by successfully completing an appropriate pistol safety training course or class.
5. Not be subject to an order or disposition for any of the following:
• Involuntary hospitalization or involuntary alternative treatment.
• Legal incapacitation.
• Personal protection order.
• Bond or conditional release prohibiting purchase or possession of a firearm.
• Finding of not guilty by reason of insanity.
6. Not be prohibited from possessing, using, transporting, selling, purchasing, carrying, shipping, receiving, or distributing a firearm under MCL 750.224f.
7. Have never been convicted of a felony in Michigan or elsewhere, and a felony charge against the applicant is not pending in Michigan or elsewhere at the time he or she applies for a CPL.
8. Have not been dishonorably discharged from the United States Armed Forces.
9. Have not been convicted of a misdemeanor violation of any of the following in the eight years immediately preceding the date of the application and a charge for a misdemeanor violation of any of the following is not pending against the applicant in this state or elsewhere at the time he or she applies for a CPL:
• MCL 257.617a, failing to stop when involved in a personal injury accident
• MCL 257.625, operating while intoxicated or with any presence of a Schedule 1 controlled substance or cocaine, punishable as a second offense under, MCL 257.625(9)(b)
• MCL 257.625m, operating a commercial motor vehicle with alcohol content, punishable as a second offense under MCL 257.625m(4)
• MCL 257.626, reckless driving
• MCL 257.904(1), operating while license suspended/revoked/denied or never applied for a license, punishable as a second or subsequent offense
• MCL 259.185, operating an aircraft while under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a controlled substance with prior conviction
• MCL 290.629, hindering or obstructing certain persons performing official weights and measures duties
• MCL 290.650, hindering, obstructing, assaulting, or committing bodily injury upon director of the Department of Agriculture or authorized representative of the director
• MCL 324.80176, operating a vessel under the influence of intoxicating liquor or a controlled substance, or with an unlawful blood alcohol content, punishable as a second or subsequent offense under MCL 324.80177(1)(b)
• MCL 324.81134, operating an off-road vehicle (ORV) under the influence of alcoholic liquor or a controlled substance or with an unlawful alcohol content, punishable as a second or subsequent offense under MCL 324.81134(8)(b)
• MCL 324.82127, operating a snowmobile under the influence of alcoholic liquor or a controlled substance, or with an unlawful blood alcohol content, or with any presence of a Schedule 1 controlled substance or cocaine, punishable as a second or subsequent offense under MCL 324.82128(1)(b) MCL 333.7403, possessing a controlled substance, controlled substance analogue, or prescription form
• MCL 462.353, operating a locomotive under the influence of alcoholic liquor or a controlled substance, or while visibly impaired, punishable as a second offense under MCL 462.353(4)
• MCL 722.677, displaying sexually explicit matter to minors
• MCL 750.81, assault or domestic assault
• MCL 750.81a(1) or (2), aggravated assault or aggravated domestic assault
• MCL 750.115, breaking and entering or entering without breaking
• MCL 750.136b(7), fourth-degree child abuse
• MCL 750.145n, vulnerable adult abuse
• MCL 750.157b(3)(b), solicitation to commit a felony
• MCL 750.215, impersonating a peace officer or medical examiner
• MCL 750.223, illegal sale of a firearm or ammunition
• MCL 750.224d, illegal use or sale of a self-defense spray or foam device
• MCL 750.226a, sale or possession of a switchblade
• MCL 750.227c, improper transporting or possessing a loaded firearm in or upon a vehicle
• MCL 750.229, pawnbroker accepting a pistol in pawn, or any second-hand or junk dealer accepting a pistol and offering or displaying it for resale
• MCL 750.232, failure to register the purchase of a firearm or a firearm component
• MCL 750.232a, improperly obtaining a pistol, making a false statement on an application to purchase a pistol, or using or attempting to use false identification of another to purchase a pistol
• MCL 750.233, intentionally pointing or aiming a firearm without malice
• MCL 750.234, discharging a firearm while intentionally aimed without malice
• MCL 750.234d, possessing a firearm on prohibited premises
• MCL 750.234e, brandishing a firearm in public
• MCL 750.234f, possession of a firearm in public by an individual less than 18 years of age
• MCL 750.235, discharging a firearm pointed or aimed intentionally without malice causing injury
• MCL 750.235a, parent of a minor who violates the Firearms Chapter of the Michigan Penal Code in a weapon-free school zone
• MCL 750.236, setting a spring or other gun, or any trap or device
• MCL 750.237, carrying, possessing, using, or discharging a firearm while under the influence of alcoholic liquor or a controlled substance, while having an unlawful alcohol content, or while visibly impaired
• MCL 750.237a, weapon-free school zone violation
• MCL 750.335a, indecent exposure
• MCL 750.411h, stalking
• MCL 750.520e, fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct
• Former MCL 750.228, failure to have a pistol inspected
• MCL 752.861, careless, reckless, or negligent use of a firearm resulting in injury or death
• MCL 752.862, careless, reckless, or negligent use of a firearm resulting in property damage
• MCL 752.863a, reckless discharge of a firearm
• A violation of a law of the United States, another state, or a local unit of government of this state or another state substantially corresponding to a violation described above
10. Have not been convicted of a misdemeanor violation of any of the following in the three years immediately preceding the date of application and a charge for a misdemeanor violation of any of the following is not pending against the applicant in this state or elsewhere at the time he or she applies for a license:
Current Michigan Firearms Laws. Link is: https://www.legislature.mi.gov/Publications/Firearms.pdf